GED Math: One of the Most Feared Subjects made Easier.
GED Study Guide has the best study materials for the GED.
Check out our Free GED Practice Tests
The GED Math Test consists of roughly 50 questions. A calculator and formulas will be provided to use for most of the questions but .
The GED Math Test covers material from:
- Number operations and number sense
- Measurement and geometry
- Data analysis, statistics, and probability
- Algebra, functions, and patterns
Are you overwhelmed by just thinking of taking a math test? Has it been a few years since you’ve taken a math course? Was math your least favorite subject? It’s okay, you certainly are not alone. The math portion of the GED is what concerns most people. Sadly, it even stops many from taking the GED in the first place but rest assures with a little studying and some guidance you will pass the GED Math section with flying colors.
How to be Successful at the GED Math Test
Questions on the GED Math Test will be directly related to a given number line, chart, graph, word problem or other type of statistical data.
TIP: Read the answers before you read the math test questions. This will allow you to see any outlying answers immediately.
Questions on the GED Math Test will require you to use common formulas.
TIP: Be familiar with these formulas so that you are not wasting time looking them up. If you have these formulas memorized, you will be able to simply plug in the given numbers from the GED Math Test problem.
There will be 25 questions on the GED Math test. To manage your time, allow yourself 45 minutes to complete the GED Math Test portion.
TIP: This means you should be spending roughly half a minute on each question.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will a calculator be allowed on the test?
Yes. Each test-taker will have access to an on-screen calculator, which will be a Texas Instruments TI 30X3.
What type of content will be on the GED Math Test?
Test-takers will be expected to be familiar with:
1. Quantitative Problem Solving (45% of the test will be comprised of these types of questions)
2.Algebraic Problem Solving (55% of the test will be comprised of these types of questions)
What are Quantitative Problem Solving Questions?
These types of questions revolve around Number Operations and Geometric Thinking.
What types of questions will be asked on GED Math Test?
- Multiple Choice
- Drag and drop
What level of Mathematical Reasoning will the GED Math Test measure?
The test will align with college and workforce readiness.
How many questions are on the GED Math Test?
Each section of the GED Test will have roughly 50 questions that test-takers will be asked to complete.
Common Formulas and Terms to Know for the GED Math Test
Be sure you are able to use these common formulas before you take the GED Math Test.
Perimeter: the distance around a shape.
- To find the perimeter of any shape add all lengths and widths together.
Area: The space that fill a shape
- Area of a square: side(side)
- Area of a rectangle: Length (width)
- Parallelogram: Base (height)
- Triangle: 1/2 (base)(height)
Complete GED Math Study Guide
As you begin to study, you should be aware of WHAT concepts you will be expected to know for each test area. You should make it a goal to be familiar with each of these concepts. This portion of the website will allow you to familiarize yourself with these concepts so that the mastery of each will become your goal. Use this list as you study, so that once you learn a concept, you can move on to the next. Once you’re confident with this the Study Topic Goals, head over to our Free Online GED Math Practice Test.
NUMBER SENSE: Rational Numbers, Absolute Value, Multiples, Factors, and Exponents
- Can I order Fractions and Decimals on a Number Line?
- Can I use number properties, like multiples and factors? And can I use their greatest common factors, least common factors, and/or distributive property to rewrite their numeric expressions?
- Can I use the rules of exponents with numerical expressions WITH rational exponents to write equivalent expressions WITH rational exponents?
- Can I determine absolute value or a rational number on a number line? Can I determine the distance between two numbers on a number line? Can I use their absolute value in determining their distance?
EXPONENTS, ROOTS of RATIONAL, FRACTION and DECIMAL NUMBERS: Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing.
- Can I add, multiply, subtract and divide rational numbers?
- Can I compute and write numerical expressions with squares and square roots of positive, rational numbers?
- Can I determine if and when a numerical expression is undefined?
- Can I solve practical real world problems, and one-step or multi-step arithmetic problems involving addition, subtraction, division and/or multiplication with rational numbers, including those involving scientific notation?
RATIOS, PERCENTS and SCALE FACTORS
- Can I compute unit rates?
- Can I use scale factors to determine the magnitude of size change? Can I convert between actual drawings and scale drawings?
- Can I solve multi-step, arithmetic, real-world problems using rations or proportions including those that require converting units of measure?
- Can I solve two-step, arithmetic, real world problems involving percents?
DIMENSIONS, PERIMETER, CIRCUMFERENCE, and AREA: two-dimensional figures.
- Can I compute area and perimeter of triangles and rectangles. Can I determine side lengths or triangles and rectangles when given area or perimeter?
- Can I compute the area and circumference of circles? Can I determine radius or diameter when given area or circumference?
- Can I compute the perimeter of a polygon? Can I compare the area of a polygon when given a geometric formula? Can I determine the side lengths of a polygons when given the perimeter or area?
- Can I compute perimeter and area of a 2-D composite geometric figures, which could include circles?
- Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to determine unknown side lengths in a right triangle?
DIMENSIONS, SURFACE AREA and VOLUME: Three Dimensional Figures
- Can I compute volume and surface area or rectangular prisms when given geometric formulas? Can I solve for side lengths or height when given volume or surface area?
- Can I compute volume and surface area of cylinders when given geometric formulas?
- Can I solve for height, radius or diameter when given volume or surface area?
- Can I compute volume and surface area of right prisms when given geometric formulas? Can I solve for side lengths or height when given volume or surface area?
- Can I compute volume and surface area of right pyramids and cones when given geometric formulas? Can I solve for side lengths, height, radius, or diameter when given volume or surface area?
- Can I compute volume and surface area of spheres when given geometric formulas? Can I solve for radius or diameter when given the surface are?
- Can I compute surface area and volume of composite 3-D geometric figures, given geometric formulas?
INTERPRET and CREATE DATA ANALYSIS
- Can I represent, display, and interpret categorical data in bar graphs?
- Can I represent, display, and interpret data involving tone variable plots on the real number line including dot plots, histograms and box plots?
- Can I represent, display, and interpret data involving two variables in tables and the coordinate plane including scatter plots and graphs?
MEAN, MEDIAN, MODE and WEIGHTED AVERAGE: Calculate and Apply
- Can I calculate the mean, median and range?
- Can i calculate a missing data value, given the average and all the missing data values but one, as well as calculating the average, given the frequency counts of all the data values, and calculating a weighted average?
COUNTING TECHNIQUES and PROBABILITIES
- Can I use counting techniques to solve problems and determine combinatiosn and permutations?
- Can I determine probability of simple and compound events?
EXPRESSIONS and POLYNOMIALS: Write, evaluate, and compute
- Can I add, subtract, factor,multiply and expand linear expressions with rational coefficients?
- Can I evaluate linear expressions by substituting integers for unknown quantities?
- Can I write linear expressions by substituting integers for unknown quantities?
- Can I write linear expressions as part of word-to-symbol translations or to represent common settings?
- And I add subtract, multiply polynomials, including multiplying two binomials, or divide factorable polynomials?
- Can I evaluate polynomial expressions by substituting integers for unknown quantities?
- Can I factor polynomial expressions?
- Can I write polynomials expressions as part of word-to-symbol translations or to represent common settings?
- Can I add, subtract, multiply and divide rational expressions?
- Can I evaluate rational expressions by substituting integers fro unknown quantities?
- Can I write rational expressions as part of word-to-symbol translations or to represent common settings?
LINEAR EQUATIONS: Write, manipulate, and solve.
- Can I solve one-variable linear equations with rational number coefficients?
- Can I solve real-world problems involving linear equations?
- Can I write one-variable linear equations to represent context?
- Can I solve a system of two simultaneous linear equations by graphing, substitution, or linear combinations? Can I solve real-world problems leading to the system of linear equations?
LINEAR INEQUALITIES: Write, Manipulate, Solve and Graph
- Can I solve linear inequalities in one variable with rational number coefficients?
- Can I identify or graph the colution to a one variable linear inequality on a number line?
- Can I solve real-world problems involving inequalities?
- Can I write linear inequalities in one variable to represent context?
QUADRATIC EQUATIONS: Write, Manipulate, and Solve
- Can I solve quadratic equations in one variable with ration coefficients and real solutions, using appropriate methods?
- Can I write one-variable quadratic equations to represent context?
GRAPHS AND FUNCTIONS: Connect and Interpret
- Can I locate points in the coordinate plane?
- Can I determine the slope of a line from a graph, equation, or table?
- Can I interpret unit rate as the slope in a proportional relationship.
- Can I graph two-variable linear equations?
For a function that models a linear or nonlinear relations between two quantities:
- Can I interpret key features of graphs and tables in terms of quantities?
- Can I sketch graphs showing key features of graphs and tables in terms of quantities,
- Can I sketch graphs showing key features given a verbal description of a relations?
COORDINATES, LINES and EQUATIONS
- Can I write the equation of a line with a given slope through a given point?
- Can I write the equations of a line passing through two given distinct points?
- Can I use slope to identify parallel and perpendicular lines and to solve geometric problems?
FUNCTIONS: Compare, Represent, and Evaluate
- Can I compare two different proportional relationships represented in difference ways?
- Can I represent or identify a function in a table of graph as having exactly one output for each input?
- Can I evaluate linear and quadratic functions for values when they are represented with function notations?
- Can I compare properties or two linear and quadratic functions each represent in a difference way?
Now You Have a Solid Plan for the GED Math Test
Start Studying NOW!!
by Sean Mapes